Monday, April 6, 2015

The New Jedi... Follies?

So I have finally done it.  I've started rereading "The New Jedi Order" series.  Vector Prime was pulled off the shelf, dusted off, and cracked open.

I rarely have the desire to reread any of these - I reread Stackpole's two books, simply because they were the last he wrote - but basically, the New Jedi Order is where I find I began to dislike the direction the EU took more and more (even as I acknowledge the quality of the individual books tended to increase).

It took me one chapter to remember why.

Who made the decision that when we finally get Jedi back, they should all be vigilante hot shots?  Seriously - how does that decision get made?  Remember, this is 1999 - so it can't be a reaction to Attack of the Clones or Revenge of the Sith and the flaws of the order.  Just - oh, look, for 1000 generations the Jedi Knights were guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy - devotees of the light side of the force.

Oh, look - it's Wurth Skidder, just another one of those hotshot Jedi flying around in his X-Wing blowing stuff up.

How do you move from Knights, from Warrior Monks, to "let's make them like Billy the Kid"?

For this reason, more than anything - I'm welcoming the reboot.  And maybe we will have a story that is driven not by the Jedi being stupid.  Flawed, calcified, attacked -- that's understandable, but just flat out stupid... no.

Even a Jedi Order founded by Han Solo wouldn't be as fly-by-the-seat-of-you-pants.

No comments:

Post a Comment