Saturday, June 18, 2011

Starting Review - The Joiner King by Troy Denning

I can do this. I can do this. It's not that scary. I can go back - I can reread Denning's trilogy.

And I'm not referring to the presence of giant bugs all over the place (given that I dislike bugs). No - I'm referring to the view of the Jedi coming out of the NJO. What is that view of the Jedi? I will call it the Petulant Teen Jedi Syndrome - or PTJS.

I have read the prologue and one chapter. PTJS has reared its head in a massive way. For example, Jacen Solo, who is studying with the Fallanassi at the moment, just gets up and leaves training. When he is warned by his instruction, Jacen thinks, "The war had brought the Jedi to a deeper understanding of the Force - one that no longer saw light and dark as opposing sides...."

I'm sure the folks who pushed this view on the Star Wars Universe thought it would be hip and edgy and maybe even all Postmodern-tastic -- but in reality, it's just acting like a teen. I have power, I know what is good, don't tell me something is good and something is bad, I have wisdom, I know what is good.

Bleech.

Then of course, Luke Skywalker is just as bad. How is Denning's Skywalker just as bad? In the first chapter he:

1. Reads a guy's mind - not for anything important, but just to impress him by telling him his name. But this is okay because it was just surface thoughts, not really prying.
2. Thinks no one should exercise any authority over anyone else, especially in the Jedi -- because a Jedi "Master" would never tell a knight what to do.
3. Doesn't even remember what the Jedi are. In Star Wars: A New Hope, what is the first thing Obi-Wan says about the Jedi? "For over 1000 generations the Jedi were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic" Yet, what does Luke think here? "It [the Jedi Temple] also served as a constant reminder to Luke of his greatest fear, that the Jedi would start to perceive themselves through the eyes of others and become little more than the guardians of a grateful Galactic Alliance."

...

Really? Obi-wan describes the Jedi, defines them as guardians of peace and justice. Luke, now beyond good and evil, has as his greatest... FEAR... that he would just be viewed as a guardian to grateful people.

How petulant! I mean, really - I don't want to care what anyone thinks of me, I just want to be who I want to be, and I don't want any responsibilities - blah blah blah.

And the thing is - a lot of the book I know I will like -- I do like the action, the combat. That works well. But just the worldview of what a Jedi is or is supposed to be... these aren't heroes.

These are petulant teens. I mean, if I were running an epic level roleplaying game with some teens, this is what I'd expect them to be like.

No comments:

Post a Comment